Friday, January 2, 2009

Wikipedia: The Common Human Knowledge Database

I have just recently conducted my first contribution to Wikipedia. While the system is perfectly crafted, it left me wondering about the credibility of the information provided.
1-Anyone can edit the information, regardless of his capabilities
2-The data entered is automatically displayed, without any "clearance"
The concept is simple. The text can be mercilessly edited continuously; bringing about a common knowledge ground that can happen to be an accepted misconception of the truth. It is really great to entrust people with such a powerful "weapon", but wouldn't it, one day, turn into a destructive tool?
Surprisingly, so far, the information I added have been reviewed without any major changes, links have been constructively added to other Wikipedia articles and my references have been included in the footnotes.

Quite an impressive tool indeed.

No comments: