Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Twilight - Eclipse: Is Twilight Harmful to Teens?

So far I had been a fanatic of the Twilight Saga. I love the romanticism and the whole idea of vampires fighting against their own nature to be good. Normally, Twilight exhibits the dreamy "soul mates" love belief. Normally, Twilight displays a world of idealism.

Needless to say, I was disappointed with Twilight Eclipse, the third of the Twilight movies:
1- Bella disregards marriage as an old outdated "constitution".
2- She also seems to be bothered by Edward's gentleman manners and labels them "old fashioned".
3- Bella being lost between two men, and sending out mixed confusing messages to both, not only wastes the beautiful "ideal" love image Twilight used to portray in the first two sequences, but makes her attitude almost bitchy.
twilight fans
All in all, she sets a bad example. I wouldn't want my kids being subjected to such values as though they were the standards of the modern world. Thus, it got me thinking of the effect of their lady hero acting/perceiving things as such on the teenage fans filling out the theater. I might be over doing it, looking beyond the story unto its effects on the human brains, but I kind of truely believe that movies end up affecting our perceptions of right and wrong at a young age... and it scares me.

5 comments:

Darine Sabbagh said...

Ella represents a good example of what anyone's teenage years are all about - a quest for self, love and determining what you want to do with your life. The movie does not idealize Bella, nor any of the other characters, on the contrary it lets you decide for yourself how you feel about it.

Many of the people who have watched new moon, have been pissed off by the fact that Bella seems to have this love triangle, and do not consider her a heroine. furthermore, the series represent an evolution of the character, and we can not judge until the whole series unfolds.

Your criticism reminds of an old English novel, that I love and adore - Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham. It follows a young man from his childhood in his search for self, he makes many a mistake in his life, the life style he leads is not exemplary and yet throughout the novel we sympathize for him... as any classical novel there are love triangles and rated scenes... and that is an old day English novel mind you...

Other examples of love triangles can be found in War and Peace, and Gone With the Wind, so essentially they are inter-weaved in all our classic literature - which was once modern and contemporary...

youmny said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it seems like you love novels, and it appears that you're quite knowledgeable in this field.

Yet, the amplitude of Twilight's effect is larger on teenagers, considering its popularity in this age segment. Again, the aftermath of movies on people worries me. (It just so happens that I just watched the Eclipse).

Anonymous said...

When I first saw Twilight's trailor, I didn't think I would like it as much as I do now. I didn't understand the fuss behind it. I'm not OBSESSED about them but those are some good movies. I've also heard from my Twilight-obsessed friends that the books are breathtaking.

I think forbidden love is what makes people fascinated by the franchise.

Most of us can relate to this "forbidden love" situation. And that's what Bella has with Edward.

Youmny...Bella's not all bad :P

I have to admit, though, that part where she kisses Jacob! It's like "A3333 stop playin wit his feelings". But shit happens...

youmny said...

hehe yes she's not ALL bad, but she has an annoyingly indecisive stance...

online marketing lebanon said...

its interesting blog, thanks for sharing the information and the thoughts.but i dont think that twilight is harmful to teens.